The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

TTC with graves and having endometriosis removed
Last Post 31 Oct 2018 02:41 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
SaraUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
31 Oct 2018 08:17 AM
    Been trying to get pregnant for 3 years since a miscarriage at 11 weeks. I have a 4 year old daughter and only took 1 cycle to get pregnant with. The day before I miscarried his heart rate was 189. Started having a lot of pain. Switched drs. 6 months after miscarriage I found out I had Graves’ disease, and mthfr. My dr sent me to an endocrinologist who said antibodies were nothing to worry about. Put me on progesterone 50mg daily and metaformin 2000mg daily ( said I had PCOS no test said I did)and vitamin d supplement (vitamin d was lower end of normal). Said I would feel amazing. After a few weeks I felt even worse and went back to my dr (obgyn). She had me stop all meds and put me on propylthiouracil (I think also called PTU?) 2017 I started Femara. November 2017 added in trigger shots (10,000 units hcg). Found out March 2018 hubby had low sperm motility. Took supplements and June above average motility. July had surgery to remove stage 3 endometriosis and flushed tubes. Starting cycle 4 since surgery but last cycle was the first one my progesterone was almost normal. Started going to the chiropractor last month. Going to the dr November 30th. What test should I ask for? Last cycle tsh and t4 were both at 1. (Not sure ranges or what t4 has been before. Tsh has been at 1 for awhile now) Anything else help you to get pregnant?
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:2788
    --
    31 Oct 2018 02:41 PM
    Hi,
    That's a pretty high metformin dose. no wonder you felt lousy. PCOS is a common cause of infertility but tests are needed to diagnose it.
    Depending on the ranges your lab uses, you'd like FT4 to be at least 1.4, FT3 at least 3.3 and TSH in Graves' disease during treament is usually <.01 or at least no higher than 0.4. TSH is a pituitary hormone that just reflects thyroid status. FT4 is the important hormone. Levels too low impair fertility.
    You want to have an FT4, FT3, TSH and TSI. TSI antibodies are the cause of Graves' disease and should be tested now and during pregnancy in the first and 3rd trimesters.
    Since you had one miscarriage it would be good to have tests for hypercoagulation. Different mild abnormalities such as antiphospholipid syndrome can cause blood to clot too fast. This is the main cause of recurrent miscarriage and strokes in young women. Since you have one autoimmune disorder, you have a higher risk of having one of these conditions, which are easy to treat once diagnosed. best, elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

ELAINE-MOORE.COM
    Elaine Moore Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education 

Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2018 All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted. Last updated: June 30, 2018
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer