The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

Lab test update
Last Post 14 Jun 2024 08:04 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
kaiUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
13 Jun 2024 02:46 PM
    Hi Elaine,
    I hope your treatment goes well and you stay healthy.

I have blood test today (13th of June 2024) and the results were:
    TSH = <0.01
    FT4= 8.9 (7.9-16)
    FT3= 4.8 (3.8-6.0)

I'm still taking PTU 100mg twice a day for almost 7 weeks now and my endocrinologist will see me on 31 of July. Can you advise please if i need to lower dose now? if yes how much do i need to take? Thank you
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:4084
    --
    14 Jun 2024 08:04 PM
    Hi,
    According to treatment guidelines you want to be on the lowest PTU dose needed to keep your FT4 near the high end of the range. If you wait until July 31st your FT4 will likely move you into hypothyroidism.
    As you know, TSH will remain low for a long time so this result is misleading. Gradual dose changes are best so why don't you call your doctor's office and see if you can reduce your PTU dose to 150 mg daily, perhaps 100 mg in the AM and 50 mg around 12 hours later. Then you could have labs in mid-July before your appointment and at that time your results should indicate another dosage drop.
    I'm doing well. I'll have another CT scan, labs, appointment and immunotherapy infusion next week. Best, Elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

ELAINE-MOORE.COM
    Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2025   |   All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted.
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimers  Designed & Developed by VESWEB Using DNN 2008