The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

NEW RELEASE
APRIL 2020

hypo vs. hyper symptoms
Last Post 17 Apr 2018 01:04 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
msledUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
14 Apr 2018 06:38 PM
    Hi Elaine,

My apologies I forget to ask : all the information I have found through research with universities suggests that anxiety and frequent bowel issues is only associated with hyperthyroidism yet this is not the case for me..is this unusual? Also is testing every 2-3 weeks when hypothyroid then increasing by 25mcg recommended or wait the 4-6 weeks...also I knwo that dry mucouc membranes is associated with both hypothyroid (and hair loss and swollen eyes even without an autoimmune disease) and hyperthyroidism...when does skin and mouth eye moisture generally return?

Thank you
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3413
    --
    17 Apr 2018 01:04 PM
    Hi,
    The symptoms you're mentioning can have many causes. For instance, frequent bowel issues can occur in hypothyroidism if you're eating foods that you don't tolerate well. Hair loss can also occur in both hyperT and hypoT although it's more common in hypoT. Allergies can cause eye swelling as can hypothyroidism. Dry skin also is related to climate and the humidity in your area. I live in a dry area so my skin can be dry even if my thyroid levels are high. Age can also increase skin dryness.
    When you're hypothyroid, it's best to wait at least 4 weeks before increasing the dose using increments of 25 mcg. You can also increase by 12.5 mcg or 50 mcg depending on your levels and general health. best, elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Elaine-Moore.com   |   Elaine Moore Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2020 All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted.
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer