The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.



Eye surgery-what type of surgeon
Last Post 10 May 2019 10:06 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CarolynnUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
08 May 2019 09:54 AM
    Hi Elaine-in a few weeks i have a follow up appointment with my TED specialist- surgeon. By way of background i was diagnosed with TED august 2017 had optic nerve involvement went to Columbia Edward Harkin Eye Institute December 2017 and was being treated by a TED specialist Oculoplastic and Orbital surgeon. He recommended steroids and radiation which unfortunately did not work so the disease is running its course and i have been in the stable phase since December 2018 when i started block and replace as well as LDN. My FT4 levels have been great since early Feb around 1.4- 1.6. I am currently on 75 levo and alternating daily between 12.5 and 15 of MMI

    My TED surgeon (who has been wonderful) said last time i would NOT need orbital decompression surgery but would probably need corrective surgery for puffy eye lids (blepharoplasty) above and below the eyes. The puffiness has caused pretty significant disfigurement especially in my right eye- i feel the constant need to raise my eyebrows to see better. i still have a bit of lid retraction in my left eye. I know my surgeon is renowned for his skills operating behind the eye but i dont know about cosmetic surgery. You know how disfiguring this disease can be and i really would like to try to look a bit more normal -between the hourglass inflammation and the loss of elasticity in my face i look NOTHING like i did before i got sick.

    I live in NY close to the city and there are a few outstanding cosmetic Oculofacial surgeons that i could see but they dont have much experience with TED ....yet their work is so natural looking. Another factor is insurance coverage-my TED surgeon doesnt take insurance so i would have to battle the insurance company on my own to see if i can get them to cover any of it. Some of the Cosmetic Oculofacial surgeons will work with insurance companies. Do i need to see someone who specializes in TED to help with reconstructive eye surgery? You have been such a gift in getting me through this horrible disease i know i am coming to the end so any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you again for all you do to help so many who struggle with this!
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:2996
    10 May 2019 10:06 PM
    I'm sorry to hear about your eye problems. They can be the worst part of Graves' disease.
    As long as your eye disease is no longer active, you should be able to see a cosmetic oculofacial surgeon. I would carefully read every review out there for each of these surgeons. You may still be able to use your TED specialist as a consultant if you explain to him that you'd prefer taking a cosmetic approach but would like him to review your surgeon's plans to make sure he's in agreement. You could also tell your TED specialist that insurance coverage is an issue and it should be.
    Let us know how things turn out. Most everyone who has had a cosmetic procedure after TED has been very happy with their results. take care, elaine

    You are not authorized to post a reply.

    Elaine Moore Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education 

    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2019 All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted. Last updated: April 25, 2019
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer