The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

NEW RELEASE
APRIL 2020

Joint Pain
Last Post 04 Jun 2019 01:04 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Marie5User is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
29 May 2019 06:09 AM
    Hi Elaine

I have been experiencing pains in my knees for a number of weeks. It's been 3 years since being diagnosed. I'm on 10mg of Carbimazole a day. I haven't had any knee pains before. I've just had a blood test and my levels are within the normal range
    TSH is 0.45 (0.40 - 4.00), T4 is 14 (10 - 20), T3 is 4.9 (3.5 - 6.5). Any advice on this? Thank you.
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3335
    --
    04 Jun 2019 01:04 PM
    Hi Marie,
    while your thyroid hormone levels do fall within the reference range they're on the low side and TSH is higher than what's usually seen in someone on the appropriate dose of Carbimazole. The guidelines recommend using the lowest dose of Carb needed to keep your FT4 near the high end of the reference range even if TSH is low. Even though they're in range your thyroid hormone levels may be too low for your body's needs. This can cause you to have symptoms of hypothyroidism. As in hyperT, you wouldn't experience all symptoms but you'd have a cluster of a few predominant symptoms. Joint pain is a common symptom of hypothyroidism. You may want to ask your doctor about lowering your carb dose and it would also be good to have an ANA test to make sure the joint pain isn't from a connective tissue disorder. best, elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Elaine-Moore.com   |   Elaine Moore Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2020 All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted.
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer