The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

Vitamin D
Last Post 06 Nov 2019 10:01 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CyndalaUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
06 Nov 2019 09:06 AM
    Hello Elaine:
    I hope this finds you well. Thanks again for all of your helpful info, including this Forum and your books. Always so helpful. I'd appreciate it if you would expand on Vitamin D and hyperthyroidism. With winter coming, I know my D levels always fall lower and I can tell I need more D3 supplements. In previous posts, you've mentioned the need for hyperthyroid patients to supplement with D -- and I am now wondering what's the right dose. Searching the Internet, I get various answers -- and not all apply to people with Graves or other hyperthyroid disease.

My doctor is on the fence about it. At one time, he tested for Vitamin D in routine blood tests for annual physicals. Now he doesn't bother, as he says most people are low in D and should supplement. I currently take 1,000 IU a day and wonder if that's enough, because my endocrinologist keeps my thyroid running high as he doesn't want me to "go hypo," as he puts it. So I know I still burn through vitamins and minerals more quickly -- things still rush through my digestive system.

Would it help to break up the D dosage throughout the day, or take all at once at night? And how much would you recommend for a woman of average weight and height?

Thanks again for your help!
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3147
    --
    06 Nov 2019 10:01 PM
    Hi,
    Ideally, your doctor would order the test for 25OH vitamin D because it's important to get a baseline idea of how low your level is.
    When I was first tested, I was taking 4,000 IU of vitamin D3 daily and spending plenty of time in the sun. My level was low at 21 and now I take between 10,000-15,000 IU daily, which brings me up to a level of 60-70. A level of 80 is ideal for those of us with autoimmune disorders.
    My dose could be way too high for you, and that's why a blood test is important. About 5 years ago, most resources said that most people need at least 4,000 IU daily, but lately more sources are saying 10,000 IU is what most people need.
    best, elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

ELAINE-MOORE.COM
    Elaine Moore Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education 

Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2019 All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted.
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer