The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

Symptoms and Lab Results
Last Post 15 Nov 2019 04:00 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Informative
TammyBUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
11 Nov 2019 12:23 PM
    Hi Elaine,

I was hoping you could shed some light on what may be going with my symptoms in relation to my lab results. I will start with a little back story first. I was diagnosed Dec 31, 2014 with Graves Ophthalmology, my lab results were extremely high. I started treatment of 40mg methimazole daily, throughout the years the dose has gone up and down. Fast foward August 2018, I was taken off methimazole. March 2019, I was hospitalized with a severe RSV infection and while in the hospital my levels went back up, they put me in the trauma unit because my heart rate was 165 bpm and rising. A week and half later I was doing better, they sent me home on a dose of 40mg methimazole daily and and beta blocker to help with heart palpitations. June 2019 I began to notice hypothyroid symptoms and went to see the doctor, I was not able to get in to have labs done before I left for vacation but my doctor lowered my dose to 20mg methimazole daily. When I got home I went for labs in July which showed hypothyroid, dose was lowered once again to 5mg methimazole daily. I continued to gain weight ( 20 lbs ), experience hair loss, extreme depression, eczema, constipation, extended moon cycle, fatigued by 3 pm daily, and on top of these symptoms insomnia and night heart palpitations which I always had with hyperthyroidism. I just recently had more tests done and have the results but waiting for the Dr. to call about them. Besides the constipation, longer moon cycle and weight gain, all the other symptoms are the same as when I was experienceing hyperthyroidism. Especially the insomnia and night heart palpitations. I feel hypo and hyper at the same time and so I am confused on what is happening in my body. The lack of sleep is really starting to take its toll on me and I know I shouldn't be worried about the weight gain because of my condition, but I am concerned to be completely honest, I just want to be a normal weight for once, not above or below.

Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated, Thankyou!

My results from March 2019 - Present follows:

March 21:
    T4 Free 38.5 (9.0 - 23.0 pmol/L)
    TSH 0.01 (0.20 - 4.00 mU/L)

July 26:
    T4 Free 8.3 (9.0 - 23.0 pmol/L)
    TSH 2.05 (0.20 - 4.00 mU/L)

Nov 6:
    T4 Free 10. (9.0 - 23.0 pmol/L)
    TSH 0.90 (0.20 - 4.00 mU/L)

Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3266
    --
    15 Nov 2019 04:00 PM
    Hi,
    sleep disturbances and palpitations occur in both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism and you appear to have an FT4 that's too low for your body's needs. with the sleep disturbance in hypoT, people generally fall asleep ok and then wake up after an hour or a few hours feeling too wired to sleep. It's not fun and you end up feeling exhausted.
    The RSV infection that you had can lead to thyroiditis, a temporary condition of hyperT lasting 2-3 months followed by a similar period of hypothyroidism that can become permanent. If you're producing blocking TSH receptor antibodies, and this is common, your TSH level is falsely low making the hypoT harder to detect.
    see https://www.elaine-moore.com/Blog/tabid/60/Post/450/Is-it-Graves-Disease-or-Subacute-Thyroiditis
    best, elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

ELAINE-MOORE.COM
    Elaine Moore Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education 

Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2020
    All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted.

Copyright Notices and Disclaimer