The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

NEW RELEASE
APRIL 2020

Thyroid storm
Last Post 14 May 2020 06:49 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
WilkyUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
14 May 2020 03:31 PM
    Hi Elaine
    I always holidayed in Majorca without any problems. Then the last two times I went I became very ill and no one can tell me what it was. I had diaorrhea then loss of appetite. Felt very hot. Shaky. I lost a lot of body fluid through excessive urinating resulting in Massive weight loss in a matter of days and my mouth was stuck together it was that dry I darent go to sleep in case I didn’t wake up. I ended up In Hospital three times on a drip in one week as the fluid cudnt be replaced. finally they gave me large amounts of electrolytes etc and this helped
    Was this a thyroid storm as I have since found out I have been over medicated for six years and the doctors in Majorca thought it was thyroid related. The endo I saw here did t know what it was. It has really scared me and I darent go on holiday anymore In case it’s heat related. It caused me great anxiety the not knowing

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have Graves’ disease which I have had for thirty years and an RAI in 2008

Kind regards

Dawn

Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3307
    --
    14 May 2020 06:49 PM
    Hi,
    You can have thyroid storm from excessive thyroid replacement hormone although it’s unusual. Usually, thyroid storm during circumstances like infection where you need less thyroid hormone. Normally, your body would just produce less during an infection or any period of bedrest.
    It sounds as though you developed a gastrointestinal infection and your high dose of replacement hormone may have contributed to symptoms.
    If your visit to Majorca was recent you should consider that 34% of cases of COVID-19 have diarrhea as the only symptom. In these cases, which are considered mild, dehydration can be a problem.
    Majorca sounds lovely and may not necessarily be a problem for you in the future.
    For replacement hormone, your TSH level is likely to remain low. Ideally your FT4 would be near the high end of the reference range, and FT3 would be midway between the middle and high ends of the range.
    Best, elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Elaine-Moore.com   |   Elaine Moore Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2020 All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted.
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer