The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

NEW RELEASE
APRIL 2020

New Labs, advice needed
Last Post 10 Sep 2020 12:34 AM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
GretaUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
05 Sep 2020 06:53 AM
    Hi Elaine,

Hope you’re well and thank you for providing your wisdom through this helpful forum. I have Graves and mild TED on my left eye (TED started mid of January, finally confirmed by ophthalmologist).

3rd of July Labs were:
    Free T4 12.4 (9-23)
    Free T3 4.5 (2.5-5.7)
    TSH 0.24 (0.3-4.2)
    TSH RC AB 2.8 ( < 0.4 unit/mL)

3rd of September Current Labs:
    Free T4 15.3 (9-23)
    Free T3 4.3 (2.5-5.7)
    TSH 0.08 (0.3-4.2)

I was put alone on carbimazole 5mg od and 2.5 on alternative days after July Labs by endocrinologist. Started to feel not well: no energy, depression, constipation, hair loss, headaches, left eye pain etc. So I decided to follow your recommendation and started Block and replace on my own (2.5 mg carb with 50 mcg levothyroxine). Today is exactly 1 month of Block and replace. My energy levels improved, left eye swelling is not so extended, no headaches.
    I’m currently looking for a private Endo with different approach here in London. In the meantime, what would be your advice on my medication?

Thank you, I really appreciate your help
    Greta

Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3413
    --
    10 Sep 2020 12:34 AM
    Hi Greta,
    Ideally your thyroid hormone levels would be higher. You could probably move up to 62.5 mcg of levothyroxine to help raise them. This would help your TED too. TSH is falsely decreased by TSH receptor antibodies so that result is misleading. Good luck finding a new endo. Best, elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Elaine-Moore.com   |   Elaine Moore Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2020 All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted.
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer