The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

“Relapsed” and hard! Endo is puzzled.
Last Post 05 Sep 2021 02:49 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CeceloUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
02 Sep 2021 10:03 AM
    Hi Elaine,

It’s has been a while since I’ve posted in 2016. I’ve been living with graves since then but made great progress over the years by taking methamazole.

Sorry to hear you are going through health issues, i hope you are doing well with treatment and wishing you a speedy recovery.

I’m hoping you can give a quick insight. As mentioned I’ve been taking anti thyroid meds and have been euthyroid for years taking just 0.25mg daily, it was a very small dose and felt great over the years. Back in March I did an antibody test (TraB?) and results came back showing it was next to “undetectable” and my endo was confident enough to take me off meds.

I was happy but knew I could become hyperthyroid again at some point but didn’t think it would happen so quickly. I officially stopped meds in early July and my symptoms came back in august, now bloodwork has confirmed I’m hyper again and in full force, worse than ever. My endo is puzzled because everything looked good before that.

Any insight would be much appreciated. I’m just so disappointed in myself…

Thank you Elaine.
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3705
    --
    05 Sep 2021 02:49 PM
    Hi,
    Did you have any vaccines or do you have seasonal allergies spiking now? Either can cause relapses.
    Was your dose 2.5 mg of methimazole? If so you would have wanted to first reduce to1.25 mg daily and even after thar 1.25 mg every other day to see how your levels looked after 6 weeks on a negligible dose. Don’t be disappointed. You were likely close to remission and had a setback. If you can determine why that will help. But you’ll be successful again. Best, elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

This site best viewed in: Google Chrome, MS Edge, and Firefox. Turn off ad blockers and DuckDuckGo to view Elaine's books.

Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2021   |   All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted. 
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer

The Elaine-Moore.com site was developed and designed by VESWeb.com