The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

Armour high ft3 issues
Last Post 23 Dec 2021 11:32 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
SleepymouseUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
05 Dec 2021 08:12 AM
    Hello Elaine,

I have just found your website. I have seen that you are currently going through a tough time, I hope you will soon be well and recover, wishing you that with all my heart.

I have Hashimotos and few years ago I was overdosed on 3 grains of Armour (doing well on it previously).
    All my thyroid meds were removed at the time and I landed in a hospital, was very unwell for several years.
    Long story short, felt very sick on Levo only, my TSH is forever suppressed.
    I moved to Armour last year and still tweaking. I have decided to add some T4 to it my months ago, but I'm having some troubles.
    My latest results are (2.6 grains Armour and 12.5 Levo):
    Ft3 6.2 (3.1-6.8) 84% of range
    Ft4 16.8 (12-22) 48% of range.
    Bloods 24 hours after meds. My RBC is high.
    I can't sleep on this dose, have heart palpitations, feel hot, sometimes anxious.
    On 2
    5 Armour and 15.6 Levo my results were:
    Ft3 5.8 (3.1-6.8) 73%
    Ft4 16.4 (12-22) 44% of range
    Able to sleep, no hot,no palps, but fatigued bloated irritated, bit low in mood and vertigo.
    Back in 2020 I took Armour only, 2.6 grains, my labwork was:
    Ft3 6.1 (3.1-6.8) 79%
    Ft4 24%
    I was having hypo and hyper symptoms, dry skin, anxiety,.feeling demotivated etc. This is when I started adding Levo and decreasing Armour (perhaps didn't decrease enough).

Would I be correct in saying that my ft4 should ne higher than 44% to feel better as even with high ft3 I don't feel well, my cortisol goes high etc.?
    I do blood 24 hours after taking the dose, I can split, I tried for 18 months and I felt bad.

Thank you so much for reading all this x
    Take care,
    Sleepymouse

Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3836
    --
    23 Dec 2021 11:32 PM
    Hi Sleepymouse,
    You're right. You would do better with a higher FT4 and a lower FT3. FT3 is optimal midway between the middle and high ends of the reference range whereas FT4 is optimal closer to the higher end of the range. You may do well with a lower dose of Armour perhaps 1 grain and around 37.5 or 50 mcg of levothyroxine. Merry Christmas, Elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

This site best viewed in: Google Chrome, MS Edge, and Firefox. Turn off ad blockers and DuckDuckGo to view Elaine's books.

Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2022   |   All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted. 
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer

The Elaine-Moore.com site was developed and designed by VESWeb.com