The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

Aggressive relapse - high antibodies question
Last Post 23 Dec 2021 11:43 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CeceloUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
10 Dec 2021 09:07 AM
    Hi Elaine,

Hope you are doing well. I’ve posted here a few times and you’ve been very helpful so thank you first and foremost.

I was diagnosed with Graves back in 2016 after my dad passed away. I was put on methamazole and responded very well, so for the past 4 years I was basically taking a very low dosage (2.5mgs every other day) as maintenance, my TSH was at a healthy level. I had an antibodies test done back in March 2021 and it came back below range/normal so my endo declared that I was in remission and took me off meds completely, since I was already on a low dose so no need to taper.

Within 1-2 months, my graves symptoms returned and aggressively. So did blood work, and my levels were out of control, worst than ever. Endo put me back on 15mgs methamazole and brought my T3 and T4 back to normal (but low TSH as expected) so she tested my antibodies again and it’s very high, also worst it’s ever been. My endo is now pushing me to get RAI or TT because she doesn’t want me on meds anymore. I told her RAI is not an option so considering TT.

I guess what’s puzzling me is what happened? I was doing so well for many years, on a very low dose of meds, no antibodies detected but everything came back super aggressively as soon as I stopped meds which was next to nothing in dosage. No major life events or stressors happened during this time. My diet never changed, so I’m just so disappointed in my body. I regret coming off meds, should’ve stayed on 2.5mgs. My endo is not very helpful answering my questions, she just keeps pushing for RAI and TT. I don’t want either but if I have to then I guess I will have to choose but am I a lost cause for remission? And any insights as to why this is happening?

Thank you so much Elaine. I am so grateful for you.
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3836
    --
    23 Dec 2021 11:43 PM
    Hi C,
    Any chance you had a vaccine either a flu shot or a covid vaccine? Either can stimulate the immune system and raise thyroid antibodies. This can last for several months.
    If not you might consider what other triggers you might have had like contrast dyes in imaging tests, excess dietary iofine, stress, aspartame, infections, allergens etc. I hope you recover soon. Best, Elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

This site best viewed in: Google Chrome, MS Edge, and Firefox. Turn off ad blockers and DuckDuckGo to view Elaine's books.

Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2022   |   All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted. 
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer

The Elaine-Moore.com site was developed and designed by VESWeb.com