The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

TSi and TRAB and remission
Last Post 23 Dec 2021 11:53 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
eakallUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
16 Dec 2021 06:41 PM
    Hi Elaine,

Hope you are well.

My case has been very weird with really subclinical hyper although my endo would argue I was hyper
    ( TSH 0.25 range 0.34-4.2) and normal FT3 and FT4. TSI normal/negative at 0.11 ( 0-0.55) and TRAB at diagnosis in July 2020 was 3.8 ( 0-1.75). Placed on 5 mg MMI.

TSH, FT3 and FT4 remain stable for 18 months and in good range and endo checks my TSI and says I'm in remission? TSI i on 12/13 is <89 and range in ( <140 % baseline) - New lab. She didn't check TRAb - not sure why

How can I be in remission when my TSI has always been negative/normal? My values have not changed that much except for a good jump in the TSH within 3 weeks of taking MMI it went from 0.25 to 1.94 where it has remained.

Any thoughts

Thank you very much!

Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3836
    --
    23 Dec 2021 11:53 PM
    Hi,
    You may not be in remission depending on the dose of MMI you're on. You really need to get down to a dose of 1.25 mg daily before you can gauge how your levels would look on a negligible MMI dose.
    TRAb measures both TSI and blocking TSH receptor antibodies and a level <89 could mean your level is 85 or <2. So the result isn't really negative but hyperthyroid symptoms typically occur when the level is 140 % activity or higher.
    If you're on a higher MMI dose I'd first lower the dose and see how your levels look before stopping completely.
    Happy Holidays, Elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

This site best viewed in: Google Chrome, MS Edge, and Firefox. Turn off ad blockers and DuckDuckGo to view Elaine's books.

Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2022   |   All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted. 
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer

The Elaine-Moore.com site was developed and designed by VESWeb.com