The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

Thyroid swollen and painful.
Last Post 30 Jan 2022 01:41 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
flashgirlUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
25 Jan 2022 02:25 PM
    Hi Elaine. I’m a 48 yo female. I wrote on this board a year ago. Here’s a little summary….

I realised I had autoimmune thyroiditis two years ago when I felt shocking and my thyroid really hurt. Two ultrasounds showed I it was swollen. I was first diagnosed with hashimotos and was treated with levothyroxine. But after a year of this with not much respite, my symptoms changed and it was confirmed I had Graves’ disease. I was on carbimazole for 6 months. Off in June 2021 as stable. I now have bloods now checked every 3 months. However my thyroid is so tender and painful. Like a very large lump in my throat. You can see it’s outline through my skin. It’s worse when I am tired. It’s horrendous and feels very “full”.

I don’t know what to do my Endo says that swelling shouldn’t last this long. I can’t find any info about thyroid hurting. I am frustrated. Why would my thyroid still hurt after two years? Especially as I’m not on any medication. Will this pain ever stop? Would love some advice. Should I get a second opinion. Thanks.
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3836
    --
    30 Jan 2022 01:41 PM
    Hi,
    A painful thyroid is rarely caused by a suppurative thyroiditis related to infection. Often, antibiotics are used to treat it unless it's caused by a virus. Usually, antibiotics are tried and if they don't help a virus is suspected.
    Subacute thyroiditis, which is more common, can also cause pain, but usually resolves after several months although in 5-15 percent of patients it can become permanent. Usually, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are used to treat it.
    It's possible to have Graves' disease and thyroiditis at the same time, and your swelling suggests this.

A large nodule could cause pain but this would have been seen on the ultrasound.
    An erythrocyte sedimentation rate (sed rate or ESR) is often elevated in thyroiditis.

I hope this helps. best, elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

This site best viewed in: Google Chrome, MS Edge, and Firefox. Turn off ad blockers and DuckDuckGo to view Elaine's books.

Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2022   |   All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted. 
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer

The Elaine-Moore.com site was developed and designed by VESWeb.com