The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

2 weeks off Methimazole
Last Post 04 May 2022 02:03 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BrianUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
10 Apr 2022 05:32 PM
    In response to my last post:

"Hi Brian,
    You achieved remission nicely. Congratulations. I don't think you were on the 1 mg dose long enough for their last labs to be meaningful. They may have been a reflection of your dose being too high earlier in March. So watch for any signs of a relapse.
    Sounds like a good idea to see the gastroenterologist. I look forward to hearing what he says. Best, Elaine"

Hi Elaine,

I had labs done 2 weeks after stopping the Methimazole on 4-6-22.

TSH - 1.99 (0.45 - 4.50)
    T4 - 8.4 (4.5 - 12.0)
    FT3 - 3.4 (2.0 - 4.4)
    FT4 - 1.33 (0.82 - 1.77)

TSH rose slightly from my previous test on 3-24-22 (1.84) FT4 rose from 0.89, so I'm keeping a close eye on that. I don't want to go back on Methimazole, so I have a bottle of Thyroid Calming if my FT4 creeps too high again.

I saw the gastro on 4-4-22. I'd have to call my appointment disappointing. I explained my ongoing issues with fast gastric emptying and she wants me to do a gastric emptying test which involves swallowing a small amount of a radioactive substance. I'm not keen on this no matter how small the dose is, so I've messaged the doctor to decline this test. I already know my stomach empties out too fast, so this test seems redundant to me. She has yet to respond.

The gastro also recommended a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I don't like either procedure, but they're probably a good idea. The earliest appointment was June 30, almost 3 months out.

So I'm at the point of finding another doctor outside of Kaiser and paying for it on my own. To have to wait another 3 months is unacceptable to me. It makes me think the doctors don't care about what I've already been through. Or maybe it's just an increasingly broken medical system.

I'd just like one of the doctors I've seen take my symptoms seriously and make some constructive suggestions on how to deal with them. I asked the gastro what I could do to slow down my fast gastric emptying and she just said we need to test first. As I wrote to start this post, very disappointing.

I 'll keep you updated on my progress. Thanks for being there for all of us.

Best regards,
    Brian
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3822
    --
    04 May 2022 02:03 PM
    Hi Brian,
    your labs look good without meds. So you just need to keep an eye on it, remembering that TSH reflects your thyroid status 6 weeks ago.
    I wouldn't pay for the colonoscopy and endoscopy out of pocket June 30th isn't too far off although you could ask to be on a wait list in case of cancellations so you could get in earlier. Hopefully, you could also meet with a different gastroenterologist in the same practice. Best, Elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

This site best viewed in: Google Chrome, MS Edge, and Firefox. Turn off ad blockers and DuckDuckGo to view Elaine's books.

Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2022   |   All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted. 
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer

The Elaine-Moore.com site was developed and designed by VESWeb.com