The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

Thyroid Testing Time of Day and DHEAS
Last Post 04 May 2022 02:21 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
JodieUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
13 Apr 2022 05:24 PM
    Hi Elaine,

I’m so happy to see positive posts on the forum that you are doing better! I admire your tenacity regarding your health issues and find your resilience to be genuinely inspiring for others.

As you may recall from my posting awhile ago, I was getting a lot of testing but no one has been able to determine what exactly is going on that’s causing me to feel the way I do. Anyhow, I wanted to check in because two questions came to mind.

1. Does it matter what time of day thyroid testing is done?

I’ve read different opinions to this and every physician will tell you something different so I’m curious to get your take. Currently, I am still considered in remission after discontinuing the Methimazole in 2017. TSH and FT4 are checked once a year, if that. When I’ve inquired about any other thyroid testing, I’m told the TSH and FT4 are sufficient to monitor thyroid status in remission. I generally get my labs done around 1:00pm or later because the Dr. says they don’t require fasting.

2. Can DHEAS affect thyroid hormone?

As you may recall my DHEAS has remained high for well over a decade now and I am suspicious because I still have symptoms that seem thyroid related even though my current status is thyroid remission. Now, I’m wondering if the elevated DHEAS has an affect on thyroid hormone and could be an explanation for ongoing symptoms. My endocrinologist claims that elevated levels of DHEAS themselves are not symptom producing. I don’t understand that perspective because the DHEAS interact with other hormones in the body and helps to produce other hormones. It’s like a cake recipe, if you add more or less of any of the ingredients it is going to affect how the final product turns out . A CT scan of my adrenal glands a few months ago indicated a very small nodule on one of them and the endocrinologist stated it could be causing the elevated DHEAS. I’m getting the impression that I’m not being given accurate information because what the endocrinologist has told me does not align with what I’ve read and I believe where I’m sourcing my information does seem medically accurate to what is known about DHEAS and how it can interact with other chemicals and hormones in the body.

Thanks in advance for your input, and stay well!

Jodie
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3822
    --
    04 May 2022 02:21 PM
    Hi Jodie,
    It's best to have thyroid labs drawn in the morning around 7 or 8 am if possible. This is because TSH peaks during the night so your highest levels will be in the morning. For remission, FT4 and TSH are adequate although if TSH is abnormal your doctor would order an FT3 level.
    DHEAS is a master hormone so it affects other hormone levels, primarily sex steroid hormones. It would be good to follow up on the nodule with ultrasounds to check for growth. Adrenal hyperplasia still seems like a good fit for your symptoms. Best, Elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

This site best viewed in: Google Chrome, MS Edge, and Firefox. Turn off ad blockers and DuckDuckGo to view Elaine's books.

Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2022   |   All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted. 
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer

The Elaine-Moore.com site was developed and designed by VESWeb.com