The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

High t3 question
Last Post 04 May 2022 03:22 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Dasanii19User is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
24 Apr 2022 10:37 PM
    I have low TSH with normal t4. T3 is very high. I ask my endo about possible t3 toxicosis and possibly using methimizole and levothyroxine. Here is the response. I just wanted to get your thoughts Elaine.

“We treat T3 toxicosis just like with any other hyperthyroidism and use methimazole - combination therapy with methimazole and levothyroxine is not recommended by the Endocrine society

There are other situational reasons your T3 was high”
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3822
    --
    04 May 2022 03:22 PM
    Hi,
    The problem is that MMI can cause FT4 to fall too low and we have 10-20 times as much FT4 as FT3. I'd ask your doctor to run an FT3 by dialysis to make sure FT3 isn't falsely elevated by other proteins. There may be a problem with some of the testing kits. For instance, I have a 7.8 FT3 but no symptoms of hyperthyroidism. If he won't do a dialysis perhaps he can have your FT3 tested by another laboratory.
    If he's running T3 the test can be falsely high with red stoppered tubes. He could instead order an FT3.
    Best, Elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

This site best viewed in: Google Chrome, MS Edge, and Firefox. Turn off ad blockers and DuckDuckGo to view Elaine's books.

Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2022   |   All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted. 
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer

The Elaine-Moore.com site was developed and designed by VESWeb.com